As a (once a Marine Corps, always a Marine Corps) family, it can be safe to assume we're pretty patriotic! We love showing our pride for our military and our country throughout the year, but especially on those days set aside to honor them, like Memorial Day.
For many, this may be just a day for barbecues, parties and to break out some red, white and blue, but we really want to be sure to teach our kids to truly appreciate this day and everything it stands for... to honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for this country.
Today, I am sharing a simple craft that is perfect for kids to show their pride in their country and their military- a super easy, popsicle stick flag!
If you're looking for the perfect patriotic craft for your classroom or home, look no further:
- Popsicle Sticks-Various Sizes.
- Wood Stars
- First up, paint your popsicle sticks and stars. The longer, regular size sticks will be red and white. Use some shorter to create your blue. (If you'd prefer, you can use one size, just keep this in mind as you paint... I find the addition of the shorter sticks to be easier!) Paint your stars white. Allow all to dry.
- Next, it's time to put the flag together! Use two shorter sticks to create a base to glue your stripes onto, alternating red and white.
- Take your shorter blue pieces and glue to the top left corner (alternately, if you have small wooden rectangle pieces, you could use these instead!)
- Finish up by gluing on your stars- I've found you can add about 1-3 of these craft stars, but if you'd prefer a more genuine flag look, consider painting them on, or use stickers!
- Add another stick to the back for easy waving. (Or ribbon for hanging, magnets... get creative!)
For more fun craft ideas for kids, be sure to check out this fun board from Family Christian:
Follow Family Christian's board Classroom Ideas on Pinterest.
In what ways do you teach your children to honor their country?